THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF OUR STORY ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOLLOWING OUR AGED TEQUILA AND CIGAR WORKOUT LET’S PICK UP WHERE WE LEFT OFF FROM WED DISCUSSING THE POOR GENTLEMAN WHO HAD HIS FACE EATEN OFF….
I really have to marvel at the press and how they never investigate anything for themselves anymore. Here’s a guy who just ate somebody’s face off. The chief of police in Miami keeps talking about neurolept malignant syndrome but he doesn’t know he’s describing it. He only mentions it as the patient getting really hot, going nuts, and taking off his clothes because his “insides are on fire.” Where did he get this description from? This is certainly not the kind of thing a cop would be describing. Rather, it sounds as if he were coached but by whom? This description of course sounds a lot like either serotonin syndrome or serotonin withdrawal syndrome as well. It almost has to be a drug effect because it is so bizarre.
No matter what they (the press) are fed they simply transcribe the “official’s” statement as fact and repeat as necessary. Rather than ever challenge some official’s statement like a court stenographer their role in uncovering the truth is gone. Therefore we can be told nearly anything these days which often enough is hobgoblin. It could be total nonsense but most of us will never know unless we do the press’s job for them. I for one would have hounded Miami metro for a real explanation had I been a reporter. I suppose I would also have been an out of work reporter in short shift as well for “rocking the boat.” We have plenty of other documented cases of serotonin toxicity just as weird yet the prescription angle is never pursued. We must make the press more accountable to us by developing a greater involvement with them and holding them responsible.
I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.
Things have become so bad in the military that Dr Peter Breggin, a world authority on antidepressants, appeared before the U.S. House of Representatives Veterans Affairs Committee in 2010 revealing how antidepressant drugs are causing an epidemic of violence, mania, and suicides. In his book Medication Madness he lists 50 such cases in detail. The effects of these newer drugs on innocent patients have lead to unprecedented acts of criminal behavior in which the patient has no ability to recognize his or her predicament. This new state of behavior has been coined Medication Spellbinding by Breggin. It’s the concept that psychoactive substances reduce the individual’s capacity to appreciate mental and behavioral adverse reactions and can lead to uncharacteristic abnormal behaviors, including violence and suicide.
I absolutely love that term-spellbinding because it reveals the true nature of these terrifying drugs. Patients so affected act as if some voodoo priestess put a gris-gris on them. The spellbinding effect allows patients to continue taking drugs which in reality-but unbeknownst to the patient-are causing deep behavioral and emotional alterations. These alterations can be so severe and complete that the spellbound can commit mayhem, murder or suicide. Furthermore, the prescribing physician will knee-jerk another script on top of the one making him toxic because the patient’s illness is coming through. It’s never the drug mind you it’s always the patient’s mental illness that’s manifesting which directly leads to polypharmacy.
GO STRAIGHT TO POLYPHARMACY DO NOT PASS GO.
But it doesn’t end there. The simple act of polypharmacy itself, involving the taking of numerous drugs from many classes, not just antidepressants has its own toll. Airman Mena is one example of thousands. He was found dead in his Albuquerque apartment five months after a medical discharge. Blood toxicology found 3 antidepressants, a sedative/anxiolytic, a sleeping pill, and two prescription narcotic pain relievers. He is one of thousands of regular everyday people who become dangerously toxic on these drug combinations. It’s very common to see these days. Remember the study that shows that the average 60 yo is on about 30 medications now as opposed to a fraction of that 30 years ago.
Hollywood is full of polypharmacy deaths and serves as the tip of the iceberg for what is a massive amount of pharmaceutical overdoses. Here’s a few:
- Anna Nicole Smith-the combination of four benzodiazepines (Klonopin, Ativan, Serax and Valium), Benadryl and Topamax with the sedative chloral hydrate amounted to a lethal cocktail. Smith’s older son Daniel died in September 2006 from an overdose of Zoloft, Lexapro and methadone while visiting his mother and baby half-sister. I recall a video which displayed the inside of her refrigerator. Sitting on the top shelf like the Crown Jewels was a liter bottle of methadone the type clinics use for dispensing smaller, normal doses. For example a normal dose might be a tablespoon or two. How and why a bottle of methadone big enough to kill a platoon of drug addicts was in her fridge is the real question. It appears her son knew about it and helped himself to it. Methadone alone is responsible for numerous deaths due to its ability to cause respiratory depression just like heroin.
- Brittany Murphy– Her tragic death was caused by pneumonia complicated by numerous prescription and over-the-counter cold medications: hydrocodone, acetaminophen, L-amphetamine in Vick’s inhaler, and chlorpheniramine.
- Heath Ledger– Toxicology report shows six prescription drugs commonly used to treat insomnia and anxiety, pain and cold symptoms, including diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine. The source of the oxycodone and hydrocodone that he took is still unknown, although there was speculation that it was supplied by Mary-Kate Olsen.
- Whitney Houston-found face down in her bathtub which contained extremely hot water as per the detectives report. Toxicology screen shows cocaine, antibiotics and Decadron a powerful corticosteroid, prednisone, Xanax, and another antibiotic minocycline, marijuana, Flexeril, and Benadryl. The Coroner ruled it an accidental death by drowning due to atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use yet no myocardial lesions were discovered that would indicate a heart attack or cardiac ischemia. And lying face down in the tub filled with “extremely hot water”? Not the usual way you approach a bath. Hmmm.
- Michael Jackson– His death was declared a homicide due to the propofol and benzodiazepines in his system. His personal doctor was charged with involuntary manslaughter and found guilty. The truth was that he had administered not only Lorazepam (Ativan) to Michael Jackson, but also a lethal dose of propofol (Diprivan), an induction drug used for general anesthesia similar to sodium pentothal. Altogether, defendant had administered a total of nine (9) different drugs to Michael Jackson: Propofol (Diprivan), Lidocaine (Xylocaine), Diazepam (Valium), Nordiazepam (Calmday), Lorazepam (Ativan), Midazolam (Versed), Ephederine (Ephedra), Flumazenil (Romazicon), and Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrocloride). Defendant’s statements to the paramedics, who were relying upon him to attempt to save Michael Jackson’s life, demonstrated a reckless disregard and endangerment of Michael Jackson’s life which impaired their rescue efforts. Defendant claimed he only administered 25 mg of Propofol to Michael Jackson on June 25, 2009. However, the Coroner’s Toxicology Report showed lethal amounts in his system where administration had to exceed more than five (5) times that amount. His doctor spent almost 90 min covering his arse before calling 911. I believe Mr. Jackson would be alive today if his personal physician had acted properly.He also performed CPR on the bed which even a fourth year medical student knows results in ineffective compressions.
- Elvis Presley– Elvis’ cause of death was complicated by massive polypharmacy and other comorbidities like a heart attack brought on by an enlarged heart, and a heart attack brought on by drug overdose. What’s clearer is that at the time of his death Elvis had no less than 14 drugs in his system. His doctor had his license suspended for three months when it emerged that: “In the first eight months of 1977 alone, he had [prescribed] more than 10,000 doses of sedatives, amphetamines and narcotics: all in Elvis’s name.
It’s precisely this “cerebral stew” of drugs that creates this Frankenstein. Big Pharma see these sad people as a pre-morbid collecting trough for prescriptions. Worse than that, if it doesn’t kill you it may make you a completely different person. It’s a sad state of affairs to see all of these people so desperate for relief from their ghosts only to generate more anguish leading to more drugs and a system all too willing to provide those meds.
However, we certainly do not need polypharmacy to drive you to desperation. The past several decades have given us thousands of cases of psychotic breaks in the form of SSRI induced road rage, homicides of entire families, school shootings and suicides. For thousands (>4,800 cases) of stories sequestered from all over the US see SSRIStories.com and for Andrea Yates specifically go to: (http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=postpartum).
MEDICATION SPELLBINDING IS A PERFECT TERM FOR THE BIZARRE WAY THESE DRUGS INFLUENCE THE MIND. POLYPHARMACY IS RAMPANT AND GETTING MUCH WORSE. IN THE NEXT ARTICLE I’LL COVER IN DETAIL THE PITIFUL CASE OF ANDREA YATES, HOW THESE DRUGS CAUSE PSYCHOTIC BREAKS AND THE CRIMINAL CONDUCT OF HER PSYCHIATRIST.