David Carpenter and Cindy Sage wrote one of the most authoritative articles on the subject of the dangers of electromagnetic fields. They were prompted by the apparent “disconnect” between government and industry in their claim that EMF’s are safe. Published in 2008 in Reviews On Environmental Health below are some of the highlights. Industry statements are in bold type, comments from Carpenter and Sage follow.
“Evidence for elevated risk of childhood leukemia from exposure to power line frequency EMF is weak and inconsistent”
- The evidence reporting a relation between EMF exposure and childhood leukemia is neither weak nor inconsistent. This conclusion is supported by at least three meta-analyses of the relation between childhood leukemia and EMFs. In response to the WHO comments that only a small number of children are at risk: “We strongly disagree with the overall conclusion that these calculations indicate that the fraction of childhood leukemia attributable to EMFs is so small that it lacks serious public health implications.”
“Evidence that adult to[sic] 50/60 Hz EMF exposure is insufficient”
- The level of evidence definitively proving an association between exposure to EMFs and adult cancer is less strong than the relation with childhood leukemia. Multiple studies, however, show statistically significant relations between occupational exposure and leukemia in adults despite major limitations in exposure assessment.
- There is also some evidence supporting the relationship between brain cancer and magnetic field exposure especially with the highly aggressive glioblastoma multiforme.
- There is also a relatively strong relation between EMF exposure and breast cancer in men and women.
- The evidence for an association between ELF-EMF exposure and the neurodegenerative diseases Alzheimer’s and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is strong.
- In total, the scientific evidence for adult disease, especially leukemia, brain cancer, Alzheimer’s disease and ALS, associated with ELF-EMF exposure is sufficiently strong that preventive steps are not only appropriate but also called for.
“There is little evidence that low-intensity RF fields pose human health hazards”
- The literature for health hazards from RF fields is not as extensive as that for power lines frequencies. Yet, a large body of evidence reports elevations in cancer in relation to exposure. Elevations in blood cancers appear to be evident from radiofrequency/microwave exposure. Higher rates of leukemia were seen in those living near an FM or AM radio broadcasting tower.
- Evidence is rapidly mounting that brain tumor risk is elevated with long-term cell-phone use. Several studies have shown up to an eight-fold increase in various brain tumors. The European INTERPHONE study is showing preliminary data of increased brain tumors and parotid gland tumors.
- Other large studies, however, have not detected any relation between either brain cancer or acoustic neuroma and mobile phone use. Some researchers who did not find a relation have noted that cell-phone usage is sufficiently recent such that concluding that long-term exposure is without hazard is not possible. So many deficiencies are present in the studies conducted to date that one cannot rule out an association between exposure and cancer.
- A number of other biological effects that are not believed to be secondary to thermal changes have been reported. Such effects include increase spontaneous abortion, shifts in red and white blood cell counts, increased mutations in lymphocytes, and changes in brainwave activity.
- Three recent reports suggest a relation between cell-phone use and reduced male fertility.
- Divan et. al., reported that prenatal and postnatal exposure of children to cell-phone frequencies was associated with a significant increase in behavioral problems of emotion and hyperactivity around the age of school entry.
- CONCLUSION: Although these studies do not provide the same level of proof found in the studies of power line frequencies, they most certainly do not allow one to conclude that RF exposures are safe. The effects that drive the need for immediate action in lowering exposure are cancer and neurodegenerative diseases. Leukemia appears the cancer of greatest concern when the exposure to either ELF or RF is over the whole body, as is the case with most ELF exposures and exposure from RF towers. When exposure is focused on a part of the human body, such as is the case of the head in cell phone use, one sees cancers of the brain, acoustic nerve, or parotid gland. For these diseases, the evidence is clearly sufficient to warrant regulatory changes in public safety.
THE AUTHORS SUGGEST THAT THE PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE BE EMPLOYED
In the case of power-frequency and RF EMF, the sheer numbers of people who are at risk makes the wise handling of this issue a health policy imperative. In the face of inadequate evidence, the public health response should be proportional to the potential public health impact. Proof of harm should not be a precondition for taking action when the potential health impact is huge.
They recommend taking preventive actions as if causation had been proven, while at the same time continue to search for mechanisms of action.
Carpenter goes on to explain that the current occupational exposures to ELF and RF involves the resolute adherence to outdated standards set by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection in the face of growing evidence of health risks at far lower levels. The industry always argues that there is no known mechanism by which injury can occur and a demand for a causal level of evidence. This demand runs counter to both the scientific evidence and good public health policy.
Currently two factors tend to maintain the status quo. One, is the resistance to change anything due to serious economic consequences and two, power and communications companies have enormous political clout and even provide support for a significant fraction of the research done on EMF which often finds no significant effects in those studies. Independently funded studies often show just the opposite conclusions.
Incidentally, a proven non-thermal mechanism of action for cancers and other diseases has been elucidated as per Dr Blank above in his studies on DNA and its behavior as a fractal antenna. No longer can the EPA claim cell phones don’t cause cancer because we don’t have a model for oncogenesis.
As usual there appears to be corruption. Just one more reason to read and educate yourself because in this day and age the information you receive from either government or industry, often one and the same, is not to be trusted 100 percent. Always follow the money.
The most common approach is to drown the consumer in junk and pseudoscience thus leaving the legitimate non-corporate studies flapping in the breeze not unlike the way Big Tobacco handled the public information trough. This way biased junk research always makes headlines while top quality science never gets front page. Add to the fact that some of the biggest media advertizing comes from the cell phone cronies. Therefore most TV outlets won’t touch a damning study even if Moses himself produced it.
In another article it was discovered that the chairman of WHO’s expert group for assessing the cancer hazards of mobile phones, is the founder of a lobby firm for supporting the mobile phone industry. His name is professor Anders Ahlbom the head of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). The investigative journalist who discovered his undisclosed activities had this to say:
“The industry-loyal scientists are easy to recognize. They systematically repeat a set of policy messages that counter the results of independent scientists and coincide with the interests of the industry. This is crystal clear in the case of Professor Ahlbom, who has dismissed all studies indicating health risks or biological effects whenever he has chaired an expert panel on this subject. He even denies the results of his own research if it indicates a health risk. There is no doubt he speaks to the benefit of the industry.”
When I stumbled onto this citation I laughed out loud. In an article from the Swedish group Power Watch, reminiscent of the “mercury is good for you” publication, we have an industry funded project that claims a 186% protective effect (reduction of risk) for meningioma (brain tumor) with the use of cell phones! In the same article they noted that out of some 80 plus studies: While almost no industry funded study found any hazards, all independent studies reported increased risk, though it was not statistically significant in all cases. This included scores of US Air Force funded studies of which every single one showed no risk whatsoever from the use of cell phones. This simply confirms what we already know or suspect that the industry and government agencies that stand to benefit from cell phone technology (in this case the Air Force) are not to be trusted.
Look I know it’s frustrating and pretty depressing hearing all of this. My students sometimes just start sighing and think what’s the use. Or a family member might say “everything’s bad for you.” Well, everything “un-natural” is, sorry. Remember I didn’t make the world this way I am only reporting on it while trying to help keep you safe. At least this way you will know what the possible causes of your ill health are due to.
What EMF Level Is Safe?
So far there is no consensus on how much is too much. Based on government and industry standards they maintain that the usual ambient level is near 0.5mG from you 60Hz magnetic field. The EPA has set their standard at 1mG as have the Swedes
Dr. Robert Becker, an MD who is an expert on the effects of electromagnetic radiation on living systems suggests that anything over 1mG mayu be harmful to the human body. If you haven’t read any of Dr Becker’s books like The Body Electric and Cross Currents do so they are some of the most fascinating books I have ever read in medicine.
Dr. Nancy Wertheimer, a Ph.D. epidemiologist who has been studying EMFs for 20 years, has been looking at the epidemiological data in a different way — she is trying to associate EMF levels with health rather than disease. The level she is coming up with is a cut off of 1 mG. Russian researchers claim that 1/1000ths of a mG should be the standard.
The BioElectric Body believes that there are several stages of health between “optimum wellness”, “degenerative disease” and “Cancer”. Thus, we maintain our own living and sleeping quarters at 0.5mG and below.
It is beyond the scope of this book to help you defend yourself from electromagnetic radiation since it requires a lot of investigation and possible construction of barriers etc. However, a prudent thing that anyone can do is to investigate just how much radiation you are being exposed to on a gross level by obtaining a Gauss meter and measuring your EMF’s both inside and outside your home. Avoid areas where the field is above 1 mG. Measure the EMF’s from appliances both when they are operating and when they are turned off. Some appliances (like TVs) are still drawing current even when they are off. Dump your electric blanket since you are literally drowning yourself in a sea of EMF’s with those things. Do not watch the microwave as it reconstructs your food into plastic. We already know you can get cataracts this way and who knows what else but I’m sure as we learn more we will see more devastation. Are you convinced that your microwave doesn’t leak? Use the meter or for a qualitative measure simply put an AM radio next to it as it’s running. That static you hear is a leaking microwave. Move computers, TV’s, clocks, wires, etc at least 6 feet from your bed if possible. If all else fails and you find much to your dismay that many of your rooms are saturated in EMF smog greater than 1mG buy several rolls of aluminum foil and carefully wrap your head in at least 200 feet of it, leave it on 24/7. If nothing else the few friends, if any, you have left after doing this will applaud your bold behavior as a man or woman of action.
If you have trouble sleeping, or you have a disease that nobody has been able to help you with be sure to review some of the possible culprits such as living near a power line, transformer farm, large telephone pole transformer, cell tower, etc. It’s your health and sometimes miracles happen when you stumble upon the cause and cure yourself. Nobody else cares about your health. Your doctor might act like he or she does but he certainly won’t support you on the EMF issue since it’s too “out there” to be a cause of disease even though the research conclusively shows that electromagnetic devices cause all sorts of diseases. For peat’s sake lose the cell phone, get an air tube head gear for it, or use the external speaker. Also leave your cell phone off when not in use if you are able. For women and men try not to pocket a live cell phone near your genitals using the front pocket or belt case which lands the phone right over an ovary. Women do not carry your phone in your bra either. Keep your land line and do not get home WiFi. Use a router that you can connect cables to and run them through your house. I’ve done this everywhere I have ever lived. It’s as easy as falling off a horse.
A nice introduction to the dangers of EMF’s and ELF’s, etc can be found here at the Wings of Healthy Living: http://web.mac.com/autismprotocols/THRiiiVE/abcEMF_files/ABC%20EMF.pdf)
It also provides some basics on home protection such as tripping your circuit breaker at night to cut off all EMF’s. Not a bad idea although I have not tried it yet. I do remember how utterly quiet it is when a storm shuts off your home’s power supply. That’s the sound of health, giving your body a rest from EMF smog. I like that idea.
You can read up on the whole cell phone problem by locating the Bioinitiative Report at www.bioinitiative.org. If you do not wish to read the entire report (yes, it’s huge) just read the executive summary at the beginning.
Go to www.antennasearch.com for a list of the nearest cell towers within a four mile radius of your home. Just plug in your address and click. You may be shocked that a secretly hidden cell tower is right next to you pretending all this while to be your neighbor.
THAT DOES IT FOR MY SERIES ON EMF’S AND ALL THAT IS RELATED TO IT. WHAT WE KNOW FOR CERTAIN SHOULD PROMPT US TO FOLLOW THE PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE AND TO USE ELECTRICAL DEVICES, IN PARTICULAR THOSE THAT UTILIZE THE MICROWAVE SPECTRUM SUCH AS CELL PHONES, CORDLESS PHONES, iPADS, AND WiFi, WITH CARE AND RESPECT. RESEARCH HAS NOW PROVEN THAT NON-IONIZING RADIATION CAN AND IS POTENTIALLY MORE DAMAGING THAN IONIZING RADIATION ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THE CHRONIC NATURE OF EXPOSURE. BE SURE TO ALWAYS USE YOUR SPEAKERPHONE OR ANOTHER HANDS FREE DEVICE LIKE AN AIR TUBING HEADSET. DO NOT LET A CHILD USE THESE UNTIL GREATER SAFETY IS ASSURED WITH IMPROVED TECHNOLOGY. ALTHOUGH I DID NOT MENTION THE SMARTGRID IT TOO WILL BE A NEW SOURCE OF EMF’S FOR WHICH WE SHOULD BE DECREASING, NOT INCREASING, OUR EXPOSURE TO.
Category: CELL PHONE RADIATION